This came through the email list by Jim Friedlander. I was asked to post this to the website for everyones consideration.
A PROPOSED BILL OF ECONOMIC AND ENVIRONMENTAL RIGHTS
(Based on the Bill of Economic Rights proclaimed by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in his 1944 State of the Union Address to Congress, made in the midst of this nation’s largest and most perilous war. We have shortened some of his statements and added some wording to reflect 21st Century concerns and sensitivities.)
“We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. ‘Necessitous men are not free men.’ People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.
“In our days these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a Second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of
security and prosperity can be established for all regardless of station, race, (or creed)”…… or gender.
Among these are:
· The right to a useful and meaningful job with a living wage.
· The right to earn enough to provide adequate food, clothing and recreation.
· The right of every family to a decent home.
· The right to adequate medical care.
· The right of every person to live in a safe, healthy, clean, attractive and sustainable environment.
· The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident and unemployment.
· The right to a good education.
· The right of every businessman or consumer to trade unfettered
by unfair competition and the domination of monopolies.
(I suggest that we adopt these as our goals and pass them along for consideration of Occupy groups in Maine and elsewhere. We can certainly add to them or define our terms, as we move along. Furthermore, we can add Objectives and Actions which will modify these goals locally, statewide or even nationwide.)