2012 – 03/10

Occupy Brunswick General Assembly
Meeting Minutes
03/10/12

Present:    Jerry Provencher, Chris Winn, Stephanie Boucher, Nick Dentico, Sean Donovan, Susan Chandel, Barbara West,
Jim Friedlander, Mike White, Tom Cornell, Karen Wainberg
Facilitator:  Barbara West
Recorder:   Karen Wainberg

Old Business

Do we want to continue protesting at BofA?

Discussion comments
1) ” There are a lot of people that come to BofA that aren’t at this meeting so how can we make a decision?”
2) “Keep doing it.  Many people who are not on the Occupy list “drop in” at the protest. It’s a good way to make new connections.”
3) “Do it less often.  Maybe 1x per month.”
4) “If we’re going to continue the action, should do it weekly.  It needs to be consistent.”
5) “Maybe we just need to tweak the Saturday action: We could set up a table and have mini-educational experiences/workshops; The Art Action
Committee could create street theater; We need handouts and buttons every week; Lots of creative possibilities.”

Decisions:
1)
 Continue to protest at BofA weekly.
2) Decision made to “tweak”.  Our first tweak will be to consistently have handouts and buttons.  Nick reminded us that there are print ready handouts on the website:  
https://occupybrunswick.wordpress.com/resources/   Jim Friedlander showed us a good brochure about Move to Amend that can be  passed out.  People are encouraged to find or create informative handouts.

 We reviewed the Working Committees and point persons.

Art Action – Anita Clearfield, anita@anitaclearfield.com
Media – Jerry Provencher, mrps renovate@myfairpoint.net
Phonetree – Susan Chandel, suzeesjubileez@yahoo.com
Move to Amend resolutions& petitions – Joel Siano, Joelmsiano@gmail.com
Bath Heritage Days – Sean Donavan, seanleo22@gmail.com, Bruce Gagnon,globalnet@mindspring.com,
Karen Wainberg, karenwainberg@gmail.com
Movie Night – Stephanie Boucher, Sierra327@gmail.com

Decisions related to Committees
1) We will show “Inside Job” in Bath beginning of April.  Karen will contact UCC and Jerry will call Patten Free Library to
get available dates and times.
2) Joel, Susan and Sean met to begin Move to Amend work.  Others wish to be part of this group but are
unclear when the meeting time is.  Wednesday is mentioned but those interested need to contact Joel to solidify
the date and time.
3) Jerry, point person for media, is most interested in using this committee’s energy to educate the public on
issues that mainstream media is not covering.  He cites two examples – Corporate Charters and recent bill (HR 347?)
that diminishes rights of protesters.
4)  Bath Heritage Days Committee and Art Action can work together to create theme, props, etc for the 4th of July parade in Bath.
4)  Clarification made that GA is not the appropriate venue for working on Committees’ tasks, strategies, etc.  That
is done in Committee meetings and then proprosals are brought to GA for final decisions.
5) Barbara is creating an email that lists Occupy Brunswick’s Working Committees, their point persons and the general focus of each group.
It will be sent to PeaceWorks and other listserves to widen our outreach.

New Business

What about fundraising? (ugh!)
.
Discussion comments
1) What about having a fundraising event?  Who would take this on?
2) What if we just ask for donations at “issue” events/actions we organize?
3)
  Maybe we could put a donation jar in some public places, i.e. Bart and Greg’s.
4) We have $135 donated by Loukie and Stan Lofchie, raised at Loukie’s 90th Birthday Party. Where shall we keep it?

Decisions on Fundraising
1) We will have no special fundraising activities at this point, just donations at our events.
2) We will open a bank account at Bank of America (Just kidding) at a credit union.  Karen will get
details and bring signature cards to next meeting.

TOPIC FOR NEXT WEEK
During our meeting, the question of what Occupy Brunswick’s focus is was asked a number of times.  We decided to take next GA, extend the time to 90 minutes and clarify our focus. Stephanie reminded us that she had sent a mission statement around some months ago and will bring it to the next meeting.  We are asking each other to invite people we think will be interested in this conversation to attend next week’s GA.

Other
Jim Friedlander submitted the following list.  Please add any additions that you have.

POTENTIAL ALLIES, SUPPORTERS, COMMUNITIES

ANTI-WAR PACIFISTS
Veterans for Peace

LABOR ORGANIZED AND UNORGANIZED
Workingamerica
Maine AFL/CIO
National Association of Letter Carriers, Brunswick Branch
Local Six, AFL/CIO (BIW Shipbuilders Union)

ENVIRONMENTALISTS, CONSERVATIONISTS
Forest Ecology Network of Maine   fen@207me.com   Ph. 207 624-6404
Maine Audubon Society

STUDENTS, YOUTH, EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY

SENIORS
American Association of Retired People

AFFORDABLE HOUSING COMMUNITY

ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION COMMUNITY

TRADITIONAL LEFT, SOCIAL DEMOCRACY

ARTS AND LETTERS COMMUNITIES

VETERANS
Disabled American Veterans (Chapter 15)
VFW (Posts)
American Legion (Posts)
AMVETS
VVA
Fleet Reserve Association

ALTERNATIVE ENERGY COMMUNITY

WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT AND LIFESTYLE COMMUNITIES
Maine Women’s Lobby             salsa.wiredforchange.com

ETHNIC COMMUNITIES

JUSTICE AND EQUALITY COMMUNITIES

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE COMMUNITIES

SMALL AGRICULTURE, FAMILY FARMERS, LOCAVORES

HEALTH CARE COMMUNITY

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s